ADEL NEIGHBOURHOOD FORUM
HELD ON MONDAY 22nd APRIL 2013
IN THE OLD STABLES, BACK CHURCH LANE
Attendees: Ian Bond (co-chair), Nick Brown (co-chair), John Hartley, Geoff Steel, Cllr. Barry Anderson, Caroline Anderson (Minutes), Grace Clark, Allan Dawson, Francis Garbutt, Keith Spark, Barrie Hopson, Tamara Dervish, Paul Simkins, Ann Sellens, Rose Gilliard, David Gilliard, Johnny Abraham
Apologies: Sarah Rushton, Hazel Hinchcliffe, Sue Holmes
Ian Bond welcomed everyone to the meeting.
1 Feedback from from the Consultation Day on 2oth April
Mike Dando, our Planning Aid contact said this was a good turnout.
Barrie Hopson praised the Forum for the excellent organisation on the day.
Nick went on to give an overview of comments on each of the topics.
Green Space and Heritage
Protection of the green spaces
Enhancement of the green spaces
Footpaths, cycle ways, links to all green space
Comments on the Church, its setting, its heritage
Church at Eastmoor also mentioned as an asset
Seven Arches Viaduct mentioned as an asset
Broad range of comments. Strong themes came out on the type of housing required and the desire for smaller properties e.g. bungalows.
Access for the elderly and disabled
Affordability was a theme
Affordability for younger people to remain in the area or move back to the area.
Need for sheltered accommodation, perhaps warden-assisted care.
On the design front a high level of support for maintaining the character of Adel i.e. its individuality amongst its properties.
Support for need for developers to sell individual plots to people to build their own houses.
Clear messages re issues and challenges of schools being oversubscribed.
Adel needs a new school – suggestions on where it should be.
Also High School provision required – could we have a through-school in Adel i.e. from age 3 years up to 17.
Need for safe play areas.
Need to have the current schools used outside normal hours for other things e.g. Adult Education.
Support for a good pub in the area.
There is no community or centre of identity
More access to local GPs, community centre for meeting
Somewhere for children to play
Support for a skatepark
Allotments also featured in the suggestions.
Strong feeling that people would like to walk to the facilities in Adel
Some people felt that they did not want any more businesses in the area, it is a residential area.
Some people think the shops look scruffy
Support for trees lining Otley Road like a boulevard
Suggestions for The Stables to be upgraded to an Arts Centre
High Speed Broadband needed for home workers
We need somewhere for people to meet
The analysis for this was not yet complete but clearly some issues stood out e.g. Church Lane/Adel Lane has issues with both rat running and on weekends with the sport being played on Bedquilts. Sometimes speed is an issue and other times not being able to move is an issue.
Impact of the Trolley Bus on the current no. 1 and no. 28 services.
Cycling – cycle paths wanted from Adel to Headingley.
Once Nick had given the analysis a discussion on some of the points took place.
Tamara asked if developers were allowed to build what they wanted rather than what the residents wanted or what was required.
Cllr. Anderson explained how the housing figures are worked out, what percentage Adel needs to take, what an Inspector will look for i.e. a 5 year land supply. City wide the target is for 70,000 houses but developers are arguing for larger numbers and want the Council to set aside land for the figure they determine is the correct level.
The Council will soon be issuing for consultation the sites they feel would be most appropriate for development. Ultimately this will lead to a Public Inquiry before an independent Planning Inspector.
We do need to develop the Neighbourhood Plan as soon as possible.
Geoff Steel suggested that we might do an interim plan as an outline to show we have started something. Cllr. Anderson said this would be a good idea.
2 Clarification of the Neighbourhood Boundary
Ian explained the history of how the boundary for the plan has come about. We may have to redraw the boundary as the historical Adel Parish Boundary is at variance the boundaries of both Bramhope Parish and Alwoodley Parish Council areas. Leeds City Council are using the Adel area as a test case with the Government to get issues like this highlighted so that they can be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction.
It is proposed to write to the Electoral Registration Office.
3 Adoption of the Constitution
The Constitution was adopted subject to an amendment to Point 15 in respect of notice required for meetings. The need for 14 days notice for a steering group meeting will be removed. The need for 14 days notice for an Annual General Meeting remains and in addition 14 days notice for a Special General Meeting will be added.
The Forum needs a Treasurer and Johnny Abraham expressed an interest in the role.
4 Focus Groups
Ian explained what the Focus Groups would be and the need to have Focus Groups that can start to meet. Each Focus Group lead will endeavour to get members on board.
Caroline will write to those who left their email addresses on Saturday asking if they are interested in joining a Focus Group.
Tamara volunteered for the Education group and any others that needed help.
Allan Dawson feels we need to ensure that the people who live on the west side of Otley Road need to be included so we should try to hold some focus group meetings or another consultation day in Adel Methodist Church Hall.
5 Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
Ian explained what the CIL is and how this can be obtained for the benefit of the community once the developers start to pay the CIL.
Cllr. Anderson put a proposal forward he had received from a resident who wanted the Forum to put in an objection to the Bodington development on highways grounds. The meeting agreed that this was not within our remit or our constitution and individuals would have to object separately.
Ian read out a letter from a young lady who had attended the Open Day on Saturday 20th. Ian will respond to her.
Date of Next Meetings: 22nd July, 4th November 2013
Post Meeting Note – after consulting the lady who hires the hall both of these meetings will be at 7.30pm.
The meeting was formally closed by the Co-Chairs.