Monthly Archives: February 2013

Adel neighbourhood forum minutes – 4th Feb 2013

MINUTES OF ADEL NEIGHBOURHOOD FORUM

HELD ON MONDAY 4TH FEBRUARY 2013

IN THE OLD STABLES, BACK CHURCH LANE

Attendees: Ian Bond (co-chair), Nick Brown (co-chair), Kate Manogue, John Hartley, Sue Holmes, Geoff Steel, Nira Dattani, Cllr. Barry Anderson, Caroline Anderson (Minutes), Grace Clark, Allan Dawson, Francis Garbutt, Sarah Rushton

 Apologies: Ken Garrett, Paul Simkins and Ann Sellens

1 Welcome

Ian Bond welcomed everyone to the meeting and gave an overview of the Forum and its purpose. Ian and Nick offered to Co-Chair these meetings. We are currently at the early stages of trying to pull a Forum Group together.

2 Progress to Date

Nick explained that the relationship with Leeds City Council (LCC) is growing and two officers have a full time remit to provide support to the Forums that exist throughout Leeds. The suggested Boundary for the Neighbourhood Forum area was put out to consultation and we have been asked to “tweak” this at each side. LCC will suggest changes to the boundary and we either agree or not. Following the boundaries being agreed there is a consultation period of 3 weeks. We then need to ratify the Forum and 21 people are needed for this. Their names are submitted to the Council who check that we are fully representative of the community and show that we have given everyone the chance to participate.

Our allocated officer is Ian Mackay and he will attend a steering group meeting in a couple of weeks.

A public consultation event is planned for Easter.

Sarah Rushton (Steering Group) explained that we need to consult as widely as we can within the community and get feedback at all stages. We need to find out peoples’ views on what they are concerned about and what they want to see for Adel. All this will feed into the plan and the small focus groups will work their ideas. If our consultation is not done properly the plan will fail and will be worthless.

Questions were raised and comments made:

Sarah suggested working with the schools and involving children. Ian agreed we should and both Head Teachers had been sent letters to find out how they can contribute. Demand for school places needs to be factored in to the plan. Should we make provision for a new school?

Cllr. Anderson raised concerns:

We need to have a view on the Core Strategy as a Group and we need to submit comments by middle of February when the consultation closes.

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is due to go out for consultation in February after the Council’s Executive Board meeting in February and we are entitled to 25% of money which could be up to £90 per square metre of land built on by developers which comes back to the community to spend.

David Wilson Homes are going to use a lack of a 5-year land supply to apply to build on the PAS site opposite Adel Church.

Sarah explained the different Policies that the smaller Focus Groups will be able to use that are already in existence within the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and can be drawn from as the over-arching policies are already in place.

Action – Sarah to give Geoff Steel the Policy on Transport.

People can join Focus Groups in areas of their own interest.

John Hartley will be responsible for publicity for the Group and marketing everything we do within the community.

3 Proposed Structure

Sarah proposed that Ian and Nick be officially elected as Co-Chairs. John Hartley seconded the proposal. This was agreed.

In respect of a Treasurer this was postponed as currently we do not have any funds. Any funds we do get can be lodged with the Adel Association meantime.

Caroline Anderson agreed to be the Secretary.

Allan Dawson asked about a blurring of the boundaries, Ian explained we had used the Adel NDS as a starting point. Nick explained that anyone on the fringes can have a say on anything inside the official boundary.

Ian Mackay has received our draft constitution and agreed that it is fit for purpose. As we are not a company limited by guarantee and a community group, we need to get the Council to take responsibility for the Group’s activities.

AP – Geoff to check the liability part with Bruce Buchan.

4 Focus Groups – determining composition.

The Focus Groups need to start coming together now. It was suggested that:

Allan and Kate as the two school representatives take Education.

  • Nick takes Design
  • Geoff leads Transport
  • Paul Simkins takes Public Amenities
  • John Hartley – Publicity

Sarah will feed information through to the Focus Groups.

It was also suggested that we need to involve Adel businesses.

Sarah mentioned Planning Aid – a national body who help groups with their plans but they are waiting on funding being confirmed in March 2013.

John Hartley set out what he was looking at from the publicity angle:

Website being set up

  • Facebook link
  • Blog
  • Twitter

Also we need a big event to launch us in the areas. Sarah and Nick to build on the bones of this.

We also need to consult with the Statutory Bodies – Police, Fire Authority, Water, Health etc.

We have 2300 homes to reach in the community.

Nina offered the Pharmacy as a place to publicise the Forum and meetings/events etc.  John would also like to consult with 3 other groups:

Older People (we have a link with OPAL)

18-25 year olds age group – digital approach

Businesses – we need to talk to them.

Allan suggested John also look at Higher Education.

Date of Next Meetings: 22nd April, 22nd July, 4th November, all 2013.

The meeting was formally closed by the Co-Chairs.

IMG_4979_DxO